May 31, 2019 | Recipe contributed by Chef Daniel Holloway & Marie Holloway from Urban Acorn Catering
Recipe: Black Bean 'Accra' Fritter
Serves 8-10 people
Gluten Free, Vegan
• 1⁄4 cup of Bob’s Redmill 1 to 1 gluten free flour
• 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
• 1⁄4 cup tapioca starch
• 1 (15 oz) can organic black turtle beans – rinsed, drained and dried
• 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar • 3 eddoes - peeled, cleaned & grated • Vegetable oil for frying
1. Place grated eddo into a mixing bowl with red onion, garlic, paprika, chili powder, coriander, salt, lime juice and apple cider.
2. In a food processor, pulse black beans until broken down but not quite pureed fully. Place into the bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
3. Heat oil in an electric home deep fryer (or in a pot) to 375F (use candy thermometer to check heat).
4. With a large serving spoon, carefully portion the mixture directly into the hot oil and fry until crispy (approximately 3 minutes).
5. Using the slotted spoon, take out the fritters and finish with salt.
6. Serve with crispy parsnip chips, hot sauce, shredded lime pickled cabbage and cilantro.