February 16, 2017 | Green Living
Did you know Quinoa Could Be Grown In Ontario?
Quinta Quinoa honours Inca tradition in our backyard
Quinta Quinoa is the first high nutrient quinoa to be grown/processed in Ontario. Quinta launched one year ago and is now available at multiple retail locations across Ontario. Quinta boasts 2-4 times the nutrient values of South American quinoa, and is the only commercial quinoa brand to make nutrient claims for protein and multiple minerals.
After losing a third of his pancreas to idiopathic pancreatitis, Jamie Draves, President and CEO, developed a diet consisting mainly of Superfoods. Quinoa was essential in this diet, which drove his passion and pursuit to develop a local quinoa with the highest nutritional value in the world.
But how can quinoa successfully be grown in Ontario? Quinoa is naturally frost and drought tolerant, so it grows well in the Ontario climate extremes. Years of developing a unique seed through natural breeding (non-GMO), and the nutrient-rich soils of Ontario have resulted in the high nutrient levels in Quinta Quinoa. Quinta is the only quinoa product to achieve SIX nutrient content claims including High in Protein, Zinc and Fibre, Excellent Source of Iron and Magnesium, and Source of Calcium.
The value of high nutrient, local food products, plant-based proteins and functional foods for improved health is higher than ever. By producing and processing quinoa in Ontario, Quinta Quinoa is reducing import/transportation costs and diversifying Ontario’s agriculture while producing a superior superfood in both nutritional quality and purity.
Recipe: Chocolate Quinta Quinoa Granola
- 2 cup quick oats
- 1 cup Quinta Quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, large
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add oats, Quinta Quinoa, cocoa powder, flax seed, chocolate chips, salt and mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and add honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and pour into dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly and spread in an even layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for an hour. Break into pieces and enjoy with Greek yogurt, as a cereal or a snack.